Thursday, September 16, 2010

Intruder Alert!!!

How would you honestly feel if you were just relaxing on your own property one day and all of a sudden, plenty of intruders or outsiders invading your area that you believe is yours? I know I wouldn't be able to find the exact words at the moment because I would be too heated if I were to experience that. Well this is what the Native Americans during the Christopher Columbus era had to face as they saw the massive ships sail into the shores of their land. As they saw the Spaniards unloading there ships and come to find out that they have encountered something that they have been searching for but found the wrong piece of land. The Spaniards believe that they found a western route to India but ended up on the land of the Americas. As time progressed, the Spaniards try to conquer and manipulate the Native Americans so they can take over this land they ended up on.  So back to the question, how would you feel if this were to happen to you?

The feelings that would be running through my body would make me speechless if I were put into the Native Americans place. Just the fact that there are foreigners that you have never seen in your life just show up at your native land thinking that you must accept them into your society or else. I would be appalled to witness such a cocky attitude displayed by these Spaniards. They should be grateful that I am letting them walk on my land and not have a consequence. They were polite at first, the Spaniards were, until time continued and they became more and more cocky. They began to sell the Native Americans such small things for much bigger things. They would completely take advantage of the Native Americans in every way possible. They also many hurtful things that affect the Native Americans in so many harsh ways. For example, they brought many deadly diseases with them to the Americas and it spread all across to the land to the Native Americans too, which lead to the Native Americans leaving the land. The Spaniards also brought guns and alcohol that damaged the Native Americans also because they weren't used to such foul things. So they were slowing making there way as becoming the owners of that land and leaving the Native Americans extinct. My feelings by then would be enraged but I'm not able to do as much since they have more advanced technology then me. So therefore I would evacuate the area like the rest of the Native Americans and not catch any of the diseases from the Spaniards.

2 comments:

  1. This was very informative. I liked it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful, Paul. I really like how you are putting yourself in the shoes of the Native Americans.

    ReplyDelete